I wrote this in 1996 while I was pastoring at a church in Covington, Viginia. I wanted to get away from all the Politics for a little while.I thought this sermon was so appropriate for what was going on in our world today! So here it is, I know it is long but It is good and uplifiting.
An Unchanging God in an Ever-changing World
Hebrews 6: 13-20
a. This is about the promise made to Abraham -descendants as great as the sand at the sea
b. Melchizedek - King and Priest of Jerusalem - Gen. 14:18-20
c. God is unchanging in keeping his promises!
2. What Changes
- Clothing fashions
- and so much more.
We live in a changing world and everything around us is changing! At the end of time we will even be changed from perishable to imperishable, dishonor to glory, weakness to power, natural to spiritual, corruptible to incorruptible. Everything changes we live in a world where
- In a split second a building in Oklahoma City is reduced to rubble,
- Where peace treaties are signed and broken on the same day
- Where promises are broken even before they are made
- Heart attacks can take a persons life before they hit the floor
- Where an assassins bullet change the destiny of a nation
- Where a drunken drive can change or wipe out a family forever
- The tale of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny comes to in an end in a young person's life
- Where a word spoken can never be taken back and change a relationship forever.
Change can bring confusion and hopelessness. We live in a world where there is no stability in a person’s life, especial a young persons life, confusion reigns.
The Generation X is the dying at the hands of each other at a rapid rate, with
- Drive By shootings
- Drugs and Drug related killings
- Drunken Driving
- Thrills and death is just part of the thrill
Suicide, Homicide and AIDS are the biggest killers of our kids because there is no hope. There is no hope because in a changing world there are no real absolutes given, everything is relative, to what you think of right and wrong is and if that is not what your friend or classmate thinks is right or wrong you had better watch out. With no absolutes there is no absolute Truth nothing unchanging because everything is changing
3. God Doesn’t Change
Our God is unchangeable and immutable. He makes promises and keeps them, He does not lie! He has power over creation and He kept the Sun from setting and the Days changing for Joshua, He brought the walls down at Jericho, He parted the Red Sea, and He raised Lazarus from the dead. He kept His promise to Abraham and he will keep his promises to you.
- I will never leave you or forsake you - Heb. 13:5
- I will be with you always even to the end of the age. - Matt. 28:20
- Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father’s house there are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you... John 14:1-2
- He will give you another counselor to be with you forever, the Spirit of Truth - John 14:16-17
- What is impossible with men is possible with God - Luke 18:27
God Makes promises he intends to keep because He has the Power to keep them because he is the creator of all things. He is a God who is unchanging no matter what he theologians or scientist or great minds of today would like to do with Him. He does not fit into a box that they try to put Him in or that we try to put Him in and he never will.
4. Standing firm on an unchanging God
In a changing world we need to stand firm on the reality that God is unchanging. We are in a battle every day with the battle raging on and our Enemy Satan looking like he is making much head way in our world and our country today.
But no matter how much how many battles we see Satan winning we need to STAND FAST in the promises of God and the assurance of His unchanging nature in our very changing world.
5. Hope and Application
In our world of change like a shifting sea God is our anchor (v 19) he is our rock and our foundation. He is the only solid structure we can build our lives on and be sure of the outcome and the end.
It may seem like everything is going against us or God has made a promise to us we do not see him keeping, like Abraham at 99 and Sarah at 90 giving birth to a baby. But stand fast in the promises and faith in Christ because He does not lie.
We are in a battle, against Satan and the change of our world can keep us on edge and unsure of what the future will hold. But we can stand fast on the Rock of Jesus with the Anchor of our life, God.
Simper Fidelis - Always Faithful.
We have an unchanging God in our Changing world, we as Christians need to take hold of Him!
My Book List
You Can trust a Communist:(to be Communist) by Fred Schwarz My Favorite Games
My Favorite Games